Re: [LAU] Noo 'pooter :)

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan.osaudio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 27 2014 - 20:34:04 EEST

~ Russell

> On Aug 26, 2014, at 10:53 PM, Blaise Alleyne <email+music@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 26/08/14 04:24 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
>> In the next couple of days I should be getting a new fanless dual core machine
>> with a 64bit intel cpu running at 3.1G. This is really intended to replace my
>> ageing 'office' machine, but I thought I might as well set it up for decent
>> audio too.
>>
>> As this will be a clean install, I'm wondering what people might suggest as
>> for best distro to make full use of it - all my other machines have had a
>> progression of debian upgrades so are probably full of crud.
>
> I read this article the other day recommending KXStudio or AVLinux, though I
> haven't tried either yet myself:
>
> http://www.libremusicproduction.com/articles/advantages-choosing-audio-orientated-linux-distribution
>

> Seems like the recommendations from others are better if you want to configure
> your box and have more control over it, but it seems that maybe distros like
> KXStudio or AVLinux might be worth considering if you're looking for something
> that comes with some sensible defaults for audio production "out of the box".
> *shrugs*

I have used KXstudio for sometime, including studio sessions with paying customers. While it may not suit the 'super user', it provides a good, useable platform OOTB. The exclusive tools (cadence, Carla, etc) are quite useful IMHO. The only thing I find is that it needs a pretty beefy hardware platform. KDE is a hungry resource beast. I don't have any issues at all on the i5 w/ 8gb ram box but it's too heavy for older laptops ( my Vaio dual core 1.6 for example). I've only found low latency kernels within Debian stuff, no rt or realtime.

I'm just a basic user, even after all these years. Been trying to find other OS' that have rt kernels and lighter front ends and tht are not Debian based. In my search thus far, this leaves me with Arch or Gentoo. They are more old school and require reading, and learning new things! :) it may be time for me to do just that... For the new musicians just looking to alternatives away from M$ & Osx, I think the boxed distros are great. It's a bit much to ask a musician to learn arch or gentoo terminal geek speak right out of the gate AFAIC.