[LAU] band organs

From: David Christensen <dpchrist@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 28 2014 - 06:44:16 EEST

linux-audio-user:

I'm a Linux user would like to play (sequence) band organ MIDI files
using soundfont synthesis. I have set up a Core Duo laptop with Debian
Wheezy, recompiled the kernel with the realtime patch, and installed
various music software packages (RoseGarden, FluidSynth, etc.).

STFW I am able to find free/ open source software (FOSS) MIDI files of
band organ music rolls, but I am unable to find any FOSS band organ
soundfont files.

I am also unable to find technical information on band organs, notably
music roll encoding/ decoding -- e.g. which organ functions and
instruments/ pitches are on which music roll channels -- and how this is
dealt with when the rolls are converted to MIDI and played using
something other than the make and model band organ intended by the arranger.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

David