[LAU] Session management with NSM

From: Philipp Überbacher <murks@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 28 2014 - 23:42:47 EEST

Hi there,

I'm just getting my toes wet with NSM and have a couple of questions.

1. NSM configuration. Is there a configuration file? I haven't seen
anything in the manual. The default session root ($HOME/NSM Sessions) is
quite horrible IMHO and I would have liked to configure that. Instead I
created an alias to set the root (alias nsm='non-session-manager --
--session-root ~/.nsm-sessions').

2. Adding programs to sessions through the GUI ("Add Client to
Session") is the only way? Is there no way to attach running clients
or at least have some comfort like tab completion to add clients?

3. Jack and NSM. How do you handle that? It is possible to start jack
through NSM proxy and I guess it is OK to do that as long as jack
reliably starts before jackpatch (something I'm not sure of). First I
had just jackpatch in there and it started jack for me with a whole lot
of options that are unfamiliar to me and probably not needed.

4. CLI clients. Are they generally not supported? I added the lv2 host
that was recommended to me (jalv) and had to do that through the NSM
proxy, so the settings won't be saved even though the plugin (fabla in
this case) can save its settings. This sort of defeats session
management. With all the CLI tools we have it would be a pitty if that
was generally not supported. On a sidenote, can someone recommend a
plugin host that is supported?

Well, that's it for now. Last time I heard about NSM I got the
impression that it takes care of session management once and for all,
but the first half our gave me a different impression.

Regards,
Philipp