Re: [LAU] KXStudio reminded me of why I don't like ZynAddSubFX

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 30 2014 - 11:25:38 EEST

On 08/27/2014 09:58 PM, Filipe Coelho wrote:
> On 08/28/2014 08:41 AM, david wrote:
>> On 08/27/2014 12:06 AM, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>>> In any case, the Zyn in the kxstudio repos does not auto-connect to
>>> system outputs.
>> Zynn in Debian autoconnects to JACK, but I have to connect it manually
>> (that's the way I like it) within JACK.
>>> This is so it can be safely used in a session manager environment.
>> OK, makes sense. So how DO you connect Zynn using JACK in KXStudio to
>> your desired audio outputs?
>
> You can still use qjackctl, but its jackdbus support is not that great.
> Plus it tends to stop jack when closed...

Hmm, guess that's never bothered me. When I run JACK, I start it with
QJackCtrl. When I'm done with QJackCtl, I'm also done with JACK. But,
oddly enough, the times I've forgotten to STOP Jack before closing
QJackCtl, it left JACK running just fine.

> Cadence includes the Catia and Claudia tools to manage connections (see
> Cadence tools tab).
> Catia is the simple version that only does the basic stuff,
> Claudia is a frontend to LADISH (a session manager) which is obviously a
> bit more complex.
>
> These tools are described into a bit more detail here:
> http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Applications

Sounds silly to me. Have to run yet another application to do something
that QJackCtl does in a subwindow? Although Claudia sounds useful.

>>> The 14.04 ISO is a bit old now.
>>> There has been some serious Cadence improvements and a new Zyn release
>>> since then.
>>> A new ISO will be released in a few days.
>> OK. The one I downloaded was 14.04b.
>
> The new ISO should be released in 2 weeks tops I hope.
> Most things are ready, I just need to update a few packages and do some
> testing.

Will have to try that out. Thanks for updates!

--
David W. Jones
gnome@email-addr-hidden