Re: [LAU] KXStudio reminded me of why I don't like ZynAddSubFX

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 31 2014 - 04:45:54 EEST

On 08/30/2014 03:24 PM, Kazakore wrote:

> On 31/08/14 06:01, Bruno Ruviaro wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 1:25 AM, david <gnome@hawaii.rr.com
>> <mailto:gnome@hawaii.rr.com>> wrote:
>>
>> ​[snip]
>>
>> Cadence includes the Catia and Claudia tools to manage
>> connections (see
>> Cadence tools tab).
>> Catia is the simple version that only does the basic stuff,
>> Claudia is a frontend to LADISH (a session manager) which is
>> obviously a
>> bit more complex.
>>
>> These tools are described into a bit more detail here:
>> http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Applications
>>

>> Sounds silly to me. Have to run yet another application to do
>> something that QJackCtl does in a subwindow? Although Claudia
>> sounds useful.
>>

>> ​It's not silly, it's just proposing a different workflow. One of the
>> cool things about Cadence (for me at least) you can easily set it up
>> to start jack by default when you login -- you don't have to open
>> anything in the next login, not even Cadence itself. Thanks to the
>> available bridges (which also can auto-start), you can also have
>> a2jmidi and pulseaudio jack sink starting and running automatically.
>
> And you can have QJackCtl automatically start when you login as well
> (which is what I do.) I still can't see any reason why Cadence is an
> improvement.... (Not arguing, trying to understand.)

I found Cadence confusing in that area. I think it should default to
maybe the simple connection tool running inside the Cadence window, with
an option setting to make the advanced one the default. Or something
like that.

My computers are all general-purpose ones, not audio-dedicated, so I
don't want JACK starting automatically. But session management would
speed things up.

One thing I liked about Musix 2 were the demos it had setup. You clicked
an icon, it started up a bunch of programs (for example, JACK, Hydrogen,
Qsynth or Zyn, and Rosegarden with a composition open), and everything
would start playing when you hit play in RG's transport ... I think they
do it through scripts?

--
David W. Jones
gnome@hawaii.rr.com