Re: [LAU] Debian DAW experiences

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan.osaudio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2014 - 19:36:44 EEST

~ Russell

> On Aug 31, 2014, at 10:42 PM, David Christensen <dpchrist@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> linux-audio-user:
>
> I've been running a Debian Wheezy DAW (i386, Xfce, realtime kernel, Audacity, Rosegarden, various synthesizers, etc.) for the past week or two. It sort of worked. But, it's clearly not ready for taking on stage for a performance.
>

> I checked for backports of more recent DAW titles, but none are available.
>

> So, today I rebuilt the machine using Debian Testing (Jessie).
>

> I started by downloading the 288 MB "netinst" ISO image. This was followed by 100's of MB of downloads to install the base system, graphical desktop (Xfce), laptop packages, SSH server, and print server.
>

> I fed my list of desired general-purpose, kernel, and DAW packages to Apt and it wanted to download another 1+ GB of files (!). I shook my head and lit it off.
>

> After several hours of hogging my 1.5 Mbps Internet connection, I noticed that Apt was downloading a 323 MB documentation package.
>

> Since when is documentation a *required* package?
>

> For that matter, when is 288 MB a "small" installation image?
>

> And, there are other issues with Debian (such as cdrkit/ isoinfo).
>

> So, it's time for me to look for another Linux distribution. Are there any recommendations for a Linux distribution that:
>
> 1. Works correctly.
>
> 2. Is efficient in both space and time.
>
> 3. Offers a kernel suitable for DAW use at install time.
>
> 4. Offers current DAW software binary packages.
>
> 5. Provides simple OOTB *user* and *administrator* experiences -- e.g. minimal technical wrenching around under the hood.
>

> TIA,
>
> David
>

> p.s. I read the recent thread on the same topic and researched some of the responses (archive server down at the moment). The apparent favorite, Arch Linux, fails criteria #5 (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pro_Audio). The runner-up, Ubuntu Studio, is 2+ GB and therefore fails criteria #2. The also-ran, Debian, fails #1, 2, and 3.

Your frustration is understandable by the many, not the few. However, placed within a little old fashioned perspective, can you pls point to the alternative OS that allows ANY of the options you placed in your bucket list?

The closest I think I have come to an 'OOTB' magic distro has been Kxstudio. I will always have a modified copy on at least 1 machine but KDE is a pig on older hardware.

I go poking around the dark corners of the interpipes every so often searching for the 'perfect' new distro. Been looking for non Debian type stuff. Arch and gentoo seem to be the next tier to Jedi warrior-ness o Linux audio. They are both a 'pain' (man have we become spoiled with installers n such!!) compared to say a Ubuntu install! I have been messing with Manjaro (arch derivative) a little. Takes a little of the need for "geek" sauce from the install and seems pretty tailorable. Comes in a few flavors - w/ MATE, Xfce, openbox, KDE, etc. getting used to non - apt package management, etc.

Should you find the 'magic' distro in question, pls do share. In the end, like most(?), perhaps you will find the 'magic' you desire was at your fingertips all along but does require some work!

P.S. I think I have some pictures tht are 288mb! :) while Internet access has not kept pace with the modern advance of tech, generally speaking, that is indeed small compared to most images?