Re: [LAU] Session management with NSM

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 03 2014 - 00:30:08 EEST

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

> The only issue I see with such a program is that it may be hard to tell
> when jack is actually started. Maybe I'm wrong and there is an easy way
> to tell that I'm not aware of. Maybe something in the jackd API would
> help? Would jackctl_server_start() work?
> http://jackaudio.org/api/group__ControlAPI.html#ga0ee7d8a3386503ce677f1adbd206e971

Ya, that is an issue. I use jackdbus on my system and have found that the
auto start jack when an app finds it is not runniing very frustrating.
This is perhaps not so much of a problem with jackd, but in the case you
are talking about where the user wants jack started with other than
~.jackdrc it would also be a pain. You would almost have to include the
dreaded killall -9 jackd... Even in this case race conditions could make
it not work. I think a failed jack_client_open() would give some clue, but
would not help with a hung jackd process.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net