Re: [LAU] [Bulk] Re: [Qtractor-devel] [Fwd: Re: ; ) Was - Re: Session management with NSM]

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2014 - 01:11:27 EEST

On 09/04/2014 10:34 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> This year You record an audio track with an I+O latency of 10.7 ms.
> Two year later you want to restore this session, but you don't remember
> the jackd settings you used. Originally audio and MIDI tracks were in
> sync, when you used 10.7 ms I+O latency. Within the years you got new
> hardware, you don't remember what latency you once used and starts jackd
> with a lower I+O latency. Nothing bad would happen for Ardour users, but
> a Qtractor user would run into sync issues. Am I mistaken?

i really don't get why it would have worse or better sync depending on
jackd latency settings. please forgive me, but i don't see it directly
related to the case of audio vs. midi sync...

though, in the special case that comes to mind, iif the alsa-midi timer
is slaved to a pcm sound-device, as against to the system or hires timer
for instance, you probably will get it different whether running on
disparate buffer-sizes, periods and/or sample-rates, that's for
granted--well, if you change the sample-rate across sessions you will
get prompted to convert into a brand new and different session anyhow ;)

byee

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@email-addr-hidden