Re: [LAU] OT: email clients

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2014 - 07:20:13 EEST

On Thursday 04 September 2014 20:47:35 Kazakore did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hi all.
>
> Sorry for the very much off-topic post but I have asked a couple of
> other places and from those tried some recommendations and decided I
> don't like them. On the whole you guys and gals seem to have similar
> sensibilities to me so hopefully can suggest a email client that I will
> agree with. Needs to run nicely in Threaded mode (including own, sent
> emails in the thread for normal, non-list conversations.)
>
> Evolution, Thunderbird and Alpine are the ones I've tried. Instantly
> didn't like Evolution, tried Thunderbird for about the last week (and
> currently typing this in it) with the Conversations plugin and it
> almost works but there is a lot which is clunky and not quite right.
> Alpine I barely got set up, only managed to get it to sync my Inbox
> folder, none of the others, and it all of a sudden stopped even being
> willing to do that.
>
> Considered trying kmail but it's a huge download for just an email
> client (I assume it takes most of the Kontact library/suite just not
> the other actual programs) and am currently on too poor a connection
> to feel it was worth trying on the off-chance (IE it wasn't actually
> recommended by anybody.)
>
> Thanks and sorry for the noise. Dale :)

While I have been using kmail, admittedly an older version now since this
is a ubu 10.04.4 LTS server install I added X stuffs to, and am fairly
happy with it. But with an email corpus approaching 20Gb, spanning almost
13 years in some folders,it does get a bit laggy at times. But by
offloading the mail popping activities with a
fetchmail/procmail/clamav/spamassassin/ chain so all kmail has to do is
fetch from the /var/spool/mail inbox's, it generally remains quite
responsive most of the time. Sure, it has some warts, but its ease of
configuration kicks the rest of the wannabe's out of contention here. I
am on the claws list, and rather like its user interface, but it has not
grown the ability to import the kmail email corpus. Yet.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)