Re: [LAU] another cpu question

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 13 2014 - 23:59:01 EEST

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 09:42:07PM +0200, Ede Wolf wrote:

> I just believe, that a reverb is most likely the most complex effect
> requiring the most CPU power. I may be wrong here, too, that's why I
> am asking.

Most reverb algorithms (apart from convolution reverbs) do very little
and simple calculations but quite a lot of memory access. I'd expect
those to be dominated by cache size and speeds rather than raw CPU
speed.

And if you have 16 independent effect chains, the thing to go for is
to ensure they will execute in parallel on an SMP system (more or less
the norm today). And that depends on software architecture and nothing
else.

Ciao,

--
FA