Re: [LAU] Common DAW session save / import

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 14 2014 - 21:25:04 EEST

On Sunday 14 September 2014 10:21:16 you wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 10:14 AM, David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > works

> > thing to

> > is no

> > about

> > and

> > other

> > back,

> > some

> > support

> > > AAF is actually a relatively open specification BUT
> > >
> > > * it has every hallmark of design-by-committee
> > > * it is vastly more centered on broadcast and video than on typical
> >
> > DAW
> >
> > > scenarios
> > >
> > > * the spec includes an explicit dependence on Microsoft "structured
> > >
> > > storage format",
> > >
> > > which is essentially a filesystem-in-a-file, and this part is
> > >
> > > somewhat opaque
> > >
> > > although there are attempts at an open source implementation
> > >
> > > I wouldn't put a minute of my time into AAF support. It is a dinosaur,
> > > in
> > > every sense of that word.
> >
> > So maybe it is time to invent a new one. What I had in mind was something
> > like
> > what Cakewalk has, but open, XML-based, hand-editable. PCM segments would
> > be
> > the only thing that HAD to be binary. MIDI could be done binary as well or
> > XML
> > (there are already schemas for such).
>
> http://xkcd.com/927/

Very cute.

However, there are no real standards. Each program, opensource or not, has its
own system and ne'er the 'twain do meet. So one restricts to one program, no
other choice.

Microsoft is so big so makes its own standards, its own rules, changes them at
will (example rtf), but they are not in the DAW business. Just many programs
run on their platform so may use some of their file-structures.

What if the programs we use here, on this list, were inter-operable?
Ardour/Harrison, Qtractor, Muse, Rosegarden, etc. We have more choices than
does Microsoft. What if Tracktion (proprietary, now supporting Linux!) were
brought on board? I do not think it is so far-fetched if there be a will to do
so. One opensource library to service this, done once.

(I no longer have my old posts, proposals for this. Discussion was a while
back.)