Re: [LAU] Update to "Robust Session Management"

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 16 2014 - 23:41:54 EEST

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

> A major rewrite; quite a lot faster and better now, was needed for an
> enormous patch in the works:
>
> http://lsn.ponderworthy.com/doku.php/robust_session_management
>
> Now using Python scripts for process management, a separate hand-off method
> for patch changes, and other improvements.

An interesting site. I am surprised that these things are so fragile and
that Jack and synths have to be restarted. However, while I do dabble in
keyboard like playing (not piano), I am not a keyboard palyer at heart. SO
I have not really pushed synth setups. The one thing your site does not
say anything about is the "I know it must be there" MIDI controler. I am
assuming Keyboard, but I don't know. It just seems it must be anoying not
to be able to use the program/patch selection section of the keyboard, or
do you?

I guess my question is what all performance controls do you use on stage?
I understand that the controler itself is probably not "open" etc. but
what kind of controls are used would be interesting, keys only? patch
change? are there sliders or rotary controls?

It seems USB audio is less than the best thing to use. I have an old audio
card with game controler MIDI, It seems pretty solid. I have never had it
quit on me. My keyboard is a DX7 which means only minimal extra controls
besides the keys. Do you use any external sound generation at all?

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net