[LAU] mplayer no go with snd-hdsp

From: Janina Sajka <janina@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 17 2014 - 11:15:59 EEST

Hi,

I've recently gotten my RME Multiface up and working quite
satisfactorally with current Linux kernels. I'm very happy, especially
as I had a long run of it not working for some reason I never teased
out.

So, I find I can aplay and arecord, and I can use ecasound, and a few
other cli tools.

But, I can't use mplayer. Am I the only one? Anyone else tried mplayer
on the Multiface?

For cli tools mplayer gives me the ability to pause, or move backwards
and forwards through the audio file. This is important to me because I
learn music these days by ear.

I know one can do this in the gui, but as a blind user the Linux gui
audio apps aren't particularly friendly in my experience. Besides, it's
so terribly simple, if rather imprecise, to use spacebar, left-arrow,
and right-arrow.

The error I get:

Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1536.0 kbit/100.00% (ratio:
192000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:327:(snd_pcm_hw_hw_params)
SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS failed (-16): Device or resource busy
[AO_ALSA] Unable to set hw-parameters: Device or resource busy
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa:device=plughw=8.0'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Exiting... (End of file)

Meanwhile, aplay and ecaplay have no problems. So, I thought I should
ask if anyone else has experienced this before reporting to mplayer
devs.

TIA

Janina

--