Re: [LAU] Bridging alsa and jack midi

From: F. Silvain <silvain@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 25 2014 - 12:55:00 EEST

Philipp Überbacher, Sep 25 2014:

> Hi again,
>
> what is currently the best (least jitter, reliable) way to bridge alsa
> and jack midi?
JACK's option -Xseq will include all hardware MIDI devices (including USB MIDI). I never even had plug-and-play problems.

> The goal is rather simple, I want to be able to use my e-piano
> (connected through USB) to play aeolus. Or rather allow a friend of
> mine who actually knows how to play church organ to play it.
What's wrong with Aeolus' ALSA midi port? My .aeolusrc doesn't even contain -A and still gives me an ALSA midi port in addition to the JACK midi port.

> I got it to work somewhat using 'a2jmidi -e' but it turned out to be
> rather unreliable. When I ran jack with a rather low latency setting
> and got the first xrun a2jmidid crashed. Yes, xruns shouldn't happen
> and there are some more thing I could do to avoid them, but programs
> still shouldn't crash once an xrun occurs.
a2jmidi works fine here, when I have to use it. Very reliably and accurately.llly.

Ta-ta

----
Ffanci
* Internet: http://freeshell.de/~silvain