Re: [LAU] Bridging alsa and jack midi

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 26 2014 - 20:32:33 EEST

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 12:36:38 -0400
Paul Davis <paul@linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Philipp Überbacher <murks@tuxfamily.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Alles klar. Well, mostly. I guess that alsa_midi only makes sense
> > when alsa is used as a backend, so I don't quite see why it is a server
> > option instead of a backend option.
>

> No, this is what is so lovely about it. You can now use a FFADO backend
> *and* -X alsa_midi and get full bridging to ALSA MIDI just as you would do
> with a2jmidid. This was impossible with the old backend-based "seq" and
> "raw" options. This lets you interface with ALSA-only MIDI apps even when
> using FFADO or other JACK backends such as netjack.

I confess I'm getting *more* confused about all of this :(

I use up to 3 hardware MIDI ports for my compositions along with Rosegarden
(which is ALSA MIDI only). Up to now I've been getting along quite well with
this, as all the other software I use can work with ALSA.

While I fully appreciate the issues around supporting both forms I'm getting a
bit concerned by the push towards a JACK only system.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk