Re: [LAU] [Bulk] Re: Bridging alsa and jack midi

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 28 2014 - 03:40:20 EEST

On September 26, 2014 05:26:15 PM Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On 09/26/2014 04:12 PM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 10:50:06 -0400
> >
> > Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> >> the confusion here is that there are two sets of command line
> >>
> >> arguments when you start JACK:
> >> jackd [ SERVER OPTIONS ] -d BACKEND_NAME [ BACKEND OPTIONS ]
> >>
> >> for better or for worse, some of the option letters (e.g. -X or -p)
> >> can occur as either server options or backend options.
> >>
> >> in the "old" world, there was only -X as a backend option and it had
> >> two arguments ("seq" or "raw"). Both of them are basically not
> >> sensible to use because of the poor implementations they refer to.
> >>
> >> in the new world, the preferable use of -X is as a server option:
> >> jackd ... -X alsa_midi ... -d BACKEND ....
> >>
> >> BUT ... given the legacy of qjackctl and other control apps which
> >> don't know about this, I hacked jack1 so that it would look for the
> >> the -X seq argument as a **backend** option and treat that as if the
> >> user had used the new form.
> >>
> >> It would have been less confusing to have not done this, but that
> >> would have meant that it would be impossible/harder to use qjackctl
> >> to invoke this new MIDI bridge stuff, since it only knows about -X
> >> (seq|raw) as a backend option.
> >>
> >> Alles klar?
> >
> > Alles klar. Well, mostly. I guess that alsa_midi only makes sense
> > when alsa is used as a backend, so I don't quite see why it is a server
> > option instead of a backend option. Anyway, using the -X alsa_midi as
> > server option works.
>
> on qjackctl settings, you can set the server prefix to "jackd -X
> alsa_midi" and leave the midi driver to "none", especially when NOT
> using "alsa" as the driver back-end.
>
> hth.
> cheers

Finally is it truly time to move on from the alsa seq and raw drivers?

Rui, if ye have not already done so, would ye consider a wee update to qjctl
 to show these new slaves ?

Since both Jack 1 and 2 now have slaves, perhaps a drop down list
 of the slaves with checkboxes beside each for choosing which ones to use.

For good modern user experience and app development it would really help.

Thanks!
Tim.