Re: [LAU] What is wrong with jackdbus?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 30 2014 - 16:26:49 EEST

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Phil CM wrote:

> Dear LAU
>
> Whenever I'm starting to get xruns, I do a quick ps aux|grep jack and sure
> enough, in place of the usual
>
> (...) /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:XStation,0 -r48000 -p512 -n3 -Xseq
>
> I get a nasty
>
> (...) /usr/bin/jackdbus auto

> I' suspecting pulseaudio to launch it (I use 3.13.0-36-lowlatency #63-Ubuntu
> SMP PREEMPT) so I edited
>
> /etc/pulse/default.pa
>
> To comment out those lines
>
> ### Automatically connect sink and source if JACK server is present
> # .ifexists module-jackdbus-detect.so
> # .nofail
> # load-module module-jackdbus-detect channels=2
> # .fail
> # .endif
>
> But nope, at some point, jackdbus rears its ugly head.
> Then I have to reboot :[ because just killing -9 it prevents the jack server
> to start anew.
>
> Questions
>
> - What is wrong with jackdbus ?
> - How can I prevent it from starting ?

If you run qjackctl, it may start jackdbus. In fact anything that tries to
see if jackdbus is alive will start jackdbus. This does not mean it is
active.

The problem is with the debian (and so ubuntu) jack2 package that installs
both jackd and jackdbus. There should only be one or the other on a
system. I would suggest that:
sudo chmod -x /usr/bin/jackdbus

will fix your problem. Then, if you use qjackctl, unselect the Dbus option
on the last setup page.

Personally, I would use jackdbus instead if I am running dbus anyway. On
my systems I have chmod -x jackd instead. The best thing is to run the one
you feel most comfortable with.

The problem with splitting jack2 into two packages probably has something
to do with having to redo the depends for all the other packages using
jack2. Because I happen to use jackdbus, my opinion is that /usr/bin/jackd
should be a script that takes the normal jackd command line and uses them
to run jack_control to start jackdbus. However, I am sure that lots of
people would hate that idea and I am not going to make such a script
either.... I am not trying to start a discusion on it :)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net