Re: [LAU] Bridging alsa and jack midi

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 01 2014 - 00:24:45 EEST

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-09-30 at 13:44 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
>> I don't think you can refer to midi by name in the same way as audio
>> ports. For example, as above you have hw:2,0 or hw:EWX2496_1, but you can
>> not use hw:ICE1712 - TerraTec EWX24/96. What I am saying is that EWX2496_1
>> is a device, not a name or description. MIDI does not have this. However,
>> qjackctl at least does use the description. So what you want to change is
>> the description that is shown as "Name" above. The udev rules will be
>> different than those used to change the device because you are changing a
>> different part of things. Because of a flood, I don't have access to any
>> of my MIDI IFs to try things here though.
>
> The problem here is that I manually can connect
>
> 20:TerraTec EWX24/96
> |- 0:TerraTec EWX 24/96 MIDI
>
> 24:TerraTec EWX24/96
> |- 0:TerraTec EWX 24/96 MIDI
>
> they always are distinguished by "20" and "24", the sequence of the
> cards always is the same, but QjactCtl's Patchbay and aj-snapshot are
> unable to restore the connections automatically.

Odd, aconnect would use 20:0 and 24:0 as the port names. Aconnect calls
this "sender, receiver = client:port" ... Why would qjc or aj-s use
something different? unless you talk about jack-midi with a port like:
a2j:Midi Through [14] (capture): Midi Through Port-0
This should be 14:0 somewhere in there.

My first response is that this is a bug because there is enough
information there that each port is unique. Unless the 20 and 24 are
different each time... but I would expect it to work sometimes then.

I think if it was me, and I was changing the description with udev, I
would change both of them to shorter names with no spaces like TT_0 and
TT_1

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net