Re: [LAU] Lossy audio to lossless format

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 01 2014 - 14:27:05 EEST

On Wednesday 01 October 2014 04:54:33 Egor Sanin did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Dear community,
>
> While not directly a linux related question,
> I am wondering about ultimately using linux
> tools for the possible solution, so:
>
> I get the feeling at times, when getting music
> from torrents and such, that not all files
> claiming to be flac are actually lossless.
> It seems that sometimes folks will take an
> mp3, reencode it in flac and distribute the
> result.
>
> Now the question is whether it is possible to analyze an
> audio file encoded in a lossless format and
> determine if it existed as a lossy file in a
> previous life?
>
> Any insight is appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Your ears are probably the best tool. Some hear well, and some do not.
I am amazed at the number of people who cannot tell if mp3 has ever been
in the mix. To me its obvious, when your ears get tired of it, and want to
"change the station" in just a minute or so, its been an mp3 at some
point.

These are the same 80 yo ears that need hearing aids at times, but they
can listen to an .ogg made at Q7 on a 24/7 basis without the mp3 fatigue.

They have also been my final judger of audio quality for a living as I
have over 50 years in broadcast engineering in some capacity that paid me
well when I was working for my daily bread. When the station owners see
the ratings book go up 2 points because they sound better, getting a raise
was not a problem, in fact I didn't have to ask most of the time.

As a side comment regarding technical quality of the mixes presented here,
and most certainly not intended to denigrate the musical efforts I see &
hear here on these lists, quite a bit of which shows talent and creativity
sorely needed, its clear that many of your monitoring setups are deficient
in bass response as the resultant mix is way too heavy on the bass. Good
bass can be seen on the vu meter as only 2 or 4 db above the "melody
line", but one piece that was recently posted must have had 30 db of boost
applied below 150hz. I think it would have been great music, had it not
been mixed with that much bass boost.

I'll get me coat.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)