[LAU] A linux-based FM radio station

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 03 2014 - 23:48:49 EEST

I'm happy to report that as of this morning, 100-Watt KNYO-FM in Fort Bragg California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KNYO-LP) is running on Linux, Linux Audio and Free Software.

(Well, then again, I can't speak for their website; I didn't set that up, and it looks like an F5 box, dunno what they run. But the actual streaming and broadcast radio signal chain up to the transmitter is Linux.)

The FM transmitter is in a remote location getting its audio program from a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian connected via DSL to a Linode running Airtime and Icecast2 for station automation and streaming. The studio machine is a Linux Mint XFCE box running The BUTT connected via DSL to the Linode and Airtime. I've done a few Liquidsoap customizations to Airtime to fill in missing features (AutoDJ, saving incoming streams, etc) and will be doing more, possibly contributing them upstream if I can keep them clean and general enough.

-ken