Re: [LAU] setting fluidsynth as a service in debian/systemd

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 04 2014 - 13:28:35 EEST

On Saturday 04 October 2014 10:42:48 Federico Bruni wrote:
> Thanks, now systemd service is starting correctly, but something is wrong
> with fluidsynth command because I cannot hear any sound. Maybe some
> ALSA/Pulseaudio conflict?

Yes. In my opinion, the problem is that you are trying to start FluidSynth as a system
wide service, while you are using PulseAudio which is an user session service. Pulse
doesn't start until you log into your desktop session. On your Systemd scenario, you
would need to run Pulse also as a system service starting before Fluid. That use case
may be appropriate for servers, for instance when using Fluid as a reporting target for
MonAMI sensors (http://monami.sourceforge.net). But for normal desktop usage, my
recommendation if you wish to use Fluid as an always available service to other
desktop applications is to start it as an user session service just like Pulse. To do so,
follow the XDG autostart specification for cross-desktops:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html

/etc/xdg/autostart or ~/.config/autostart/
Note: KDE has in "System Settings" -> "Startup and Shutdown" a GUI tool for easily
editing, enabling and disabling start-up programs or scripts.

Here is a sample of a ".desktop" file tested on my KDE desktop:

$ cat ~/.config/autostart/fluidsynth.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Comment[en_US]=FluidSynth MIDI Synthesizer
Comment=FluidSynth MIDI Synthesizer
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=fluidsynth -a pulseaudio -m alsa_seq -i -s -p FluidSynth -R 0 -C 0 -c 2 -z 512 -r
48000 ~/.local/share/soundfonts/default.sf2
GenericName[en_US]=MIDI Synth
GenericName=MIDI Synth
Icon=system-run
MimeType=