Re: [LAU] Resource gains - lightweight Desktop vs KDE, Gnome

From: Philipp Überbacher <murks@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 14 2014 - 12:11:03 EEST

> And, sorry, had to laugh. When you mentioned "older laptops", my mind
> went back to my older laptop (the one just before this present i7
> system). A 32-bit 2.8GHz Celeron processor and 2 GB of RAM, without
> any of these modern accelerated GPUs driving the video. KDE4 crawled
> on it. And that was with a 7200RPM hard drive in it.

Actually off-topic:

A friend of mine just retired his laptop after twelve years. Half a
year ago I installed crunchbang because he no longer wanted to use XP
after support had ended. He never needed my help after installation, it
just worked and faster than before. Openbox is reasonable in its
resource usage, it works fine even on twelve year old laptops. He only
used the machine for browsing and writing, no audio work.

I'm surprised that the HD (30GB) survived all this time. I wiped it for
him, but I still have to check what the SMART data says.

Philipp