Re: [LAU] Small instrument hardware module

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 20 2014 - 17:12:46 EEST

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014, rosea grammostola wrote:

> Is it possible to install JACK etc. and for instance Pianoteq on a device
> like this, to create your own instrument module?
>
> http://www.rikomagic.com/en/product/showpro_id_58_pid_22.html

It "looks" like it "should" be possible. It uses Ubuntu's Arm repos which
if they do not include jack, do include all the build tools to make it
with. There may be no FPU, so that may limit what sound modules will
build.

What I am saying is that this is a "set top box" made to do TV kinds of
things. The Ubuntu repos for the Arm will include those things people have
spent the time to do for the Arm achitecture. So I would expect to have to
build some of the things I wanted. It is impossible to know how well the
audio HW is set up, if it has it's own irq, if it is 16bit/48k, etc. Is
there a lowlatency kernel ready made or will you need to roll your own?
(Is the hw put together in a way it will work without?) Control would have
to be USB or ethernet as there is no serial port to play with. The WIFI
may be more of a liability than a help for music (it has to be turned off
on this netbook).

Basically, it comes down to, what is the cost? Is it cheap enough I can
use it for something else if it doesn't work? The only way to find out for
sure is to buy and try.

For stage use, it may need to be "reboxed" with good road worthy
connectors, USB stuff always plugged in or at least wired out to good
quality pannel USB plugs. 1/8 wired to 1/4 inch plus etc.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net