Re: [LAU] Small instrument hardware module

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 20 2014 - 17:45:28 EEST

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:

> On 10/20/2014 11:34 AM, Atte wrote:
>> Dunno about jack, but it seems interesting! However I can't seem to find
>> any prices...
>
> These devices are fairly cheap starting from about $50:
> http://www.dx.com/p/ditter-u20-dual-core-android-4-2-google-tv-hd-player-w-1gb-ram-4gb-rom-hdmi-black-300969#.VET43IXSWAs
>
> That's one of the cheapest I could find with an Allwinner A20 chipset.
> Better would be to get something like a Cubieboard.

Atom MB (very small) with 12v power can be had for ~$100 (I have seen them
as low as $69) And run anything any other intel chip will run. They do
have a 16bit audio out/in, though latency on jack is at best 64/3 (my wife
has one in her desktop. Video chipset is not real useful for gaming or
videos, but fine for desktop use (and not relevent for headless). There
are serial ports, so there is a possibility of having native MIDI porting
with a little HW/SW glue. Some of these do not have the 12v input but will
run from 12v with a very small adaptor. An old laptop ps could fit in the
box meaning no lump in the power cord.

Some of them also have a par port... which could be used for switches on
the box... but it would be easier to pull the board from a cheap ($3 or
so) keyboard and wire switches to that.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net