Re: [LAU] Small instrument hardware module

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 21 2014 - 12:37:07 EEST

On Tue, October 21, 2014 8:27 pm, Carlos sanchiavedraz wrote:

>> find
>> >
>> > These devices are fairly cheap starting from about $50:
>> >
>> http://www.dx.com/p/ditter-u20-dual-core-android-4-2-google-tv-hd-player-w-1gb-ram-4gb-rom-hdmi-black-300969#.VET43IXSWAs
>> >

>> If you want something that is relatively cheap that can run pianoteq,
>> linuxsampler, etc... then you should look into the Intel NUC range.
>>
>> They provide a very nice piece of gear for a stand alone solution and
>> decent responsive support via the OTC forums. I requested a change to
>> the
>> BIOS and they did it for me as an update.
>>
>> I have had one for several months as a head for my home entertainment
>> center and it is working very well. Yesterday I did some edits with
>> ardour2. All I had to do was "apt-get install ardour".
>>
>> It's not $50 but it is less than $300 for a complete 64 bit x86 solution
>> including RAM/HDD/SSD. The case is brushed aluminium and it is very
>> robust. If you get an SSD it is nearly 100% solid state apart from the
>> CPU
>> fan which is almost noiseless.
>>
>> My (cheap) home stereo speaker system generates more noise than the fan
>> and I have it running 24/7 for net streaming to TV with full 1080p over
>> hdmi.
>>
>> Saves all the hassle of learning how to cross compile and the general
>> issues associated with developing for ARM.
>>
>> I tried several other options before settling on this one. They were
>> cheaper but also more frustrating.
>>
>> Intel are catching up on ARM these days with the 16/14/12nm fab process.
>>
>> > That's one of the cheapest I could find with an Allwinner A20 chipset.
>> > Better would be to get something like a Cubieboard.
>> >

>> --
>> Patrick Shirkey
>> Boost Hardware Ltd
>>

> That about Intel NUC range sounds really interesting. Which device do you
> have, Patrick? I guess the possibilities are one of these:
> http://techpartner.intel.com/campaigns/nuc/

I got the cheapest one at the time which was the DNY2820FKH. It has a dual
core celeron and 4GB RAM. I think it can take up to 16GB.

> Apart from running Ardour, what about RT and IRQs and that stuff?
> Thanks Patrick.

The rt config is in place but I haven't really pushed it for audio
generation yet. It runs electricsheep and full 1080p video/audio without
any issues. I can get about 30fps with 1080p which is decent for viewing
but not fast enough for competitive playing.

Here is cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0 CPU1
  0: 26 0 IO-APIC-edge timer
  1: 2 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
  8: 1 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi rtc0
  9: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
 10: 10801372 0 IO-APIC-edge ite-cir
 12: 4 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
103: 1018511 0 PCI-MSI-edge xhci_hcd
104: 7418719 0 PCI-MSI-edge ahci
105: 113014233 0 PCI-MSI-edge eth0
106: 216595760 0 PCI-MSI-edge i915
107: 373 1604714 PCI-MSI-edge iwlwifi
108: 1368299 0 PCI-MSI-edge snd_hda_intel
NMI: 48085 47493 Non-maskable interrupts
LOC: 383351941 317871495 Local timer interrupts
SPU: 0 0 Spurious interrupts
PMI: 48085 47493 Performance monitoring interrupts
IWI: 4051038 6083943 IRQ work interrupts
RTR: 0 0 APIC ICR read retries
RES: 69587463 71022804 Rescheduling interrupts
CAL: 427 487 Function call interrupts
TLB: 1192097 1158476 TLB shootdowns
TRM: 0 0 Thermal event interrupts
THR: 0 0 Threshold APIC interrupts