Re: [LAU] Small instrument hardware module

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 21 2014 - 14:39:21 EEST

On 10/21/2014 12:46 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
<snip>

>> Nice devices but are they fanless?
>
> No, but they are very quiet.

Bummer, I wouldn't trust on a device that has fans for on stage use.

>> They also seem to be fairly big, I
>> guess a Cubieboard is 4x as small as a NUC board. But I haven't really
>> compared the measurements yet so I could be wrong.
>>

> This particular model has a slightly larger case. The other models are not
> as tall. The physical size is approx 10x10x4cm so they are very portable
> and the solid aluminium casing is very robust.
>
> Cubieboards are also very good units but they have some drawbacks too.
> They are not as powerful as a Celeron and they require cross compiling
> everything.

Not entirely true, most of the software is readily available in the
repositories. If you need unpackaged software or newer versions of
software you need to recompile, yes. I've got a toolchain set-up for
this (an ARM chroot with everything installed needed for Debian
packaging) and it would also be possible to do this on the device
itself. But indeed, on a x86 machine it's not as trivial as building
stuff for x86 itself.

 IIUC, they also don't support the same amount of memory.

No idea ;) Never checked that actually since most devices I know don't
come with memory slots or memory chips that can be piggybacked.

> As a stand alone device the NUC's can do very well as a relatively low
> cost processing unit. For the same form factor you can also get an i5
> chipset. I'm not sure if they have released the i7's yet but they are
> probably just around the corner. The top end i5's are very close to the
> same speed as an i7.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to check them out, such a device would be
awesome as a multimedia player. So thanks for the info!

Jeremy