Re: [LAU] A survey if you don't mind

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 21 2014 - 20:52:21 EEST

On Tue, 2014-10-21 at 19:40 +0200, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
> On 21.10.2014 19:12, Will Godfrey wrote:
> > I'm posting this in a number of places to try and get some idea of
> > ALSA/JACK usage, so I'd be grateful for responses.
> >
> > https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JZVV7K9
> >

> A note on the questions, though this might be considered nitpicking:
>
> I use jack on top of alsa ;) for audio and for midi.. So technically I
> use both..

It's a little bit nitpicking regarding to audio, but MIDI indeed is a
little bit fishy.

For audio I chose Jack with ALSA as backend, in the context IMO it's
Jack, but for MIDI it's a little bit complicated ... Jack 2 alsarawmidi
(slave) with a bridge and sometimes ALSA and sometimes Jack, so my vote
is

Audio: "JACK"
MIDI : "Sometimes ALSA, other times JACK"

Btw. when not crating sounds/music it's ALSA, not Jack, not Pulseaudio.