Re: [LAU] Small instrument hardware module

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 23 2014 - 00:11:23 EEST

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-10-21 at 13:45 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:

>>> But real DJs use vinyl No fans there!! ;-)
>>
>> On McCurdy turntables?
>
> DJs for good reasons usually use the MK II from Technics.

The McCurdys are older from what I can tell. When the Technics came out,
McCurdy used them in their equipment as well. Generally though, the
McCurdy TT would require the DJ to have roadies. When I was in broadcast,
there were still a lot of McCurdys around (I do live in Canada BTW) but
anything new was Technics. So kept a McCurdy 16in even after they replaced
most with newer technics 12 in units. Most of the highly automated places
used Cart machines with a big autoloader. There was a wall full of carts
that the cart machine was moved in front of the cart slot so it could be
loaded. Must have been more than one play slot. (I only saw one once, so I
don't remember very clear) McCurdy made mixers as well and from what I can
tell, the Mic pres are quite well thought of by those who have them.
McCurdy custom made things for CBC (like marcony did for BBC) and a lot of
early radio stations in Canada as well. I saw so many of them in the
places I toured I thought they must be everywhere, but I think in the US
the RCA was more widespread. Europe would have had their own favourite
brands too.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net