Re: [LAU] recordmydesktop stereo

From: Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 26 2014 - 14:58:42 EET

 From: Atte:

> Hi
>
> Trying my luck again with recordmydesktop. Found that the following
> eventually starts record my desktop:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4343030/recordmydesktop
>
> However it seems to only record in mono. How do I capture two audio
> channels?
>
> Even better: is there an alternative out there that actually works?

I have been using ffmpeg for my recordings.

It's a bit tricky to get sound from jack though, but if you start
pulseaudio using
the jack sinks, you get the sound if you connect the output
of what you want to record to the pulseaudio jack input. I do
that connection manually.

So:

1. Start pulseaudio (make sure it is configured to use jack):

$ pulseaudio

2. Connect the output jack ports of what you want to record into pulseaudio.

3. Run something like this:

$ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 30 -s 720x646 -i :0.0 -acodec
pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -crf 0 -y output.mkv

(this works for me)

Here are a couple of links with info I used to configure ffmpeg:
http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/148/capture-video-of-a-linux-desktop
http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/7109/capture-video-of-a-linux-desktop

And here is my version of ffmpeg, which works:
ffmpeg version 0.10.7 Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers

The ffmpeg version might be relevant since I think there are two different
versions of ffmpeg,
one hijacked version made by the libav folks, and one real version.