Re: [LAU] extra midi ports ...

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 04 2014 - 14:26:52 EET

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 05:50:36 -0500
David Santamauro <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi all, I'd like to expand my MIDI ports and have been looking at the
> Motu micro lite [1] or the Midisport 4x4[2]
>
> Does anyone have positive or negative experience with either of these
> devices? I'm running a stock fedora 20 distribition (latest updates
> etc.)

Hi David,

I'm an old school MIDI user. The ALSA MIDI jitter test claims that my
swissonic USB device should be ok, but I clearly notice the jitter.
Beside my HDSP PCIe card I'm using two TerraTec PCI cards. Never ever
use USB for MIDI real-time. You can use it to dump data, but not for
playing music. USB MIDI devices are crap.

If you need several IOs consider to get cheap PCI cards at Ebay. If
you don't need several IOs, but you want that a few MIDI devices are in
sync and you know how to use a soldering iron, consider to build a MIDI
thru box. There are likely layouts available by the Internet. I build a
MIDI thru box myself a long time before I used Linux, for my C64 and my
Atari ST.

It's wise to have separated outputs, a MIDI thru box only is useful in
some cases.

2 Cents,
Ralf