Re: [LAU] Piano Zero

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 15 2014 - 19:53:39 EET

Hi Carlos,

On 11/15/2014 10:51 AM, you wrote:

> <mailto:dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>>:
>
> Greetings,
>
> Variations for solo sequenced piano :
>

> Strange, eclectic... but I like it. A mixture of dodecaphonism,
> avant-gard, and some passages more easy listening classical piano.
>
> I'm curious about composition; this is something you wanted to achieve
> as it is (20 mins with some guiding thread or idea behind), or they
> are various fragments that you arranged as a whole?

It's a planned composition, as much as you can plan this sort of thing,
and the length was indeed a part of the plan. It's not an assembly of
fragments though, there's a guide through it all. The opening motto is
recycled continuously, with very free treatment, appropriate to the form
(variations).

There are numerous quotes in the piece too. Did you spot any ?

> Also interested about instruments and programs you used.

QSynth with 8mbgmsfx.sf2 soundfont, Calf reverb. Sequenced with a DOS
sequencer in DOSemu, recorded with ecasound, trimmed in mhWaveEdit.
That's it, a very simple setup for MIDI composition under Linux.

> Thanks for sharing!

My thanks to you and Ralf for the comments, I appreciate that you guys
took a half-hour of your lives to listen to the piece. I'll try to make
the next one shorter. :)

Best,

dp