Re: [LAU] linuxDSP switch to OverTone

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 18 2014 - 02:53:14 EET

On November 17, 2014 05:40:38 PM Peder Hedlund wrote:
> Quoting Ben Bell <bjb-linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>:
> > On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 08:56:37AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> you'll find more discussion here; https://community.ardour.org/node/8496
> >
> > Ah, hmm. It seems maybe this isn't the disaster it seemed. I had a memory
> > that VST support on Linux was shaky and on dodgy legal footing, but
> > perhaps
> > it's moved on or I've had the wrong end of the stick.
>
> The "dodgy legal footing" was probably the clash in licensing between
> the GPL and Steinberger's VST SDK license which made people unable to
> legally distribute VST-enabled linux binaries.
> When the VeSTige reverse-engineered VST headers were released that
> particular problem went away.
>
> - Peder

But there's still a problem here.
The vestige header is far from complete. For example it is missing several
 flag definitions and some features that are found in the real header.

At what point would this header be completed - that is if it /can/ be legally?

What is the legality of using missing flag 'numbers' but with your own
 flag names? Does it matter? Or no names at all, just the hard-coded numbers?

T.