Re: [LAU] John Option - Any: new song and new Adrour project

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 20 2014 - 17:55:26 EET

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014, F. Silvain wrote:

> Massimo Barbieri, Nov 20 2014:
>
>> Hi,
>> today we have published the video of another single of John Option: Any.
>> I hope that you like our choice of freedom. If you feel like I'd love
>> to read your feedback, because the encouragement of the people who
>> listen to us and appreciate the philosophy of our project is the only
>> fuel for us to continue. And if you like to be updated about our next
>> release, please subscribe to our YouTube channel or any other social
>> network you like (see link to our profiles on our website[1]).
> this is a nice song! The guitars and vocals sound very good! The whole mix is
> transparent to my ears. Pity, that the harp and the drums sound so cheap. In
> the full mix - near the end - the harp fits nicely. The drums are programmed
> too much on time. Perhaps try real drums or pads/keyboard to play them live
> and only quantise them softly. If possible try a different kit or mix with
> other sounds with more velocity layered sampling?

I had to listen a second time without watching to really hear :) Also to
try to see what the above comment was about. Certainly I would not have
recognized the harp as such if not prompted, I thought it was an odd
sounding Uke.. at least mine doesn't sound like that. Anyway, I am not
sure I agree the drums need a lot of change. The music in general is kept
background in the song. That is the bass is subdued in the mix as well and
so I think the drums (whatever their faults) match well with how the other
things are put together. The organ also doesn't try to do anything fancy,
just support what is going on over top. I think this is a valid artistic
decision.

The video is not special. Lots of that style around, probably because it
works and is within the abilities of most people. I think lip sinc could
be a bit better (or it is just u-toob doing it's thing). Video is a lot to
learn and needs pratice. Mine, for what its worth, are not near as good as
this one is. As I say the video works, don't redo it, do look to grow from
it in the next one.

Over all good stuff.

--
Len Ovens