Re: [LAU] questions about resampling - was - jack and the merging of soundcards

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 21 2014 - 16:17:43 EET

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Simon Wise wrote:

> merging sound cards means either you can run both off the same clock, or one
> is being re-sampled. Some soundcards can run using external clocks ... so
> with appropriate cabling or settings very specific to your setup it is
> possible to avoid resampling ... but most merging-into-one will involve
> resampling, with or without advertising that this is the case, because it
> works well.

Ok, so open question then. Does it make a difference to quality what the
original rate is? For example: the direct card with no resample is a 48k,
the second card will be resampled, is it better to be as close as possible
to 48k or would starting at 96 (or whatever) work better?

In all this I would assume, stereo pair inputs should be kept to one card.
Or a suround group for that matter. Or does the internal resample for
filtering make that not an issue anyway?

One more... if a group of inputs that start synced are resampled, do they
have a better post resample channel to channel sync that accross two
intefaces with different sample rates before resampling? (this is sort of
what the above questions are getting at though there amy be other issues
as well)

In the end, most people are comparing these questions to analog with the
idea that there is no phase shift in analog... I can see that two analog
channels through two eqs with the same circuit, set the same way, will
still likely have some phase shift between them. So is the channel
differences caused by digital manipulation better than analog? The same?
Worse?

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net