Re: [LAU] questions about resampling - was - jack and the merging of soundcards

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 22 2014 - 11:40:30 EET

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 08:11:29PM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:

> So I was asking if the audio phase/sync would be preserved if a
> stereo pair was split across two devices, one out of sync with the
> other and resampling being used to sync the two together. It appears
> from your other answers, that there may be noticable artifacts.

It all depends on how big the errors are. The test results at the
end of my LAC 2012 paper provide some indication of this. From these,
if you compensate for the static delay difference, the remaining
variations are a few microseconds. Four usecs at 20 kHz means
around 30 degrees in phase, leading to the 0.3 dB loss in a mono
mix mentioned before. I don't think anyone will notice.

Ciao,

--
FA