Re: [LAU] Ideas - live gig streaming

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 24 2014 - 01:10:56 EET

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Russell Hanaghan wrote:

> Audio / video live streaming
> - post mix audio to web interface with synced video.

Where is the video coming from? Are the cameras dv? (over firewire?) or
V4L (USB webcam streams) Are you sending screen recordings too? Using a
video capture card? (from a small hw video switcher)

In general, it seems to me that latency is higher with video, so some audio
delay would be needed as people deal better with late audio than late
video.

DVswitch is the first thing that comes to mind. It does do video plus
audio streams or can accept audio only streams to go along side the video.
They use this at LAC (I think) so it is ready to use, but the switching
effects are quite limited. However, I think some of these:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/products/decklink
cards come with a key generator on the card that can be used both with
incoming video as well as video the computer gets from somewhere else. The
page does say "Linux" in big letters, but I don't know if that means it
works OOTB with one of the linux streams around or "we offer a free and
open SDK so you can make your own SW".

But DVswitch does work with V4L, so webcam streams work. It will also
accept streams from network so that you don't need to have your cammeras
right close to the switch.

There is other live switching SW around too, but I don't remember off the
top of my head.

There are also other video capture cards that do have V4L drivers
available.

Either ardour or nonmixer will give a mix if you don't have an external
mixer. The bristol project has a mixer in there too, but says it is not
finished. (I don't know if that is the linux "nothing is ever finished" or
otherwise) It does seem to compile and run though.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net