Re: [LAU] AV i/o hardware

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 25 2014 - 16:27:10 EET

On 26/11/14 00:05, Kazakore wrote:

> On 25/11/14 20:37, Simon Wise wrote:

>> "Pd with GEM via v4l did all the
>> openGL mixing"
>
> Was going to mention Pd and GEM. Very surprised there is no mix or wipes on the
> software you're using. Pretty easy to program!
>>
>> A need for live keying, wipes and alpha overlays over several camera sources ...
>> and nowhere near enough money to buy a big enough vision mixer ... was the
>> motivation for a Linux based software vision mixer I put together in 2006. It
>> can all be done with several FLOSS solutions.
>>

> So did you ever release this solution you made to the public? ;-)

It was 'just' getting the particular set of hardware together, then programming
each effect or cue in Puredata to suit the shows. It worked as 'show control'
because after any particular show was programmed it could be handed over easily
... everything cued/controlled from the midi interface and no operator or tech
setting it up needed to do anything except run cables, plug it all together and
use a familiar looking hardware desk. There was never anything much to release
except the heads-up that that hardware/software combination worked well ... and
that was discussed at the time on the pd-list (its archives are probably the
main documentation for Pd).

The main 'release' from my point of view is answering questions, pointing people
in the direction of solutions I have made work, offering help and examples when
people are trying to do something similar ... i.e. being active on pd-list and
such. There have been discussions from time to time about some kind of modular
set of patches, and some collections exist that already cover all the really
standard things ... but for me a high degree of standardisation/modularisation
never really worked, and has never been able to become something that can be
used or adapted without a fluency in the language ... each project I do
certainly draws very heavily on the stuff I've done before, re-using and
adapting bits and pieces of code, but not in any way that has formed a kind of
working library.

Puredata isn't the right platform for creating a generalised user-oriented GUI
interface ... but it is really very useful and quick for lots of less standard
or once-off use cases and custom effects etc.

> As I've mentioned before, for the more budget oriented (who are unlikely to have
> cameras with full (HD)SDI output for use with a Blackmagic card anyway!) there
> are the Happauge capture cards, which always had some amount of Linux support
> and can generally be picked up for very little.

the reason I mentioned those two cards was exactly that they are the ones that
have a full set of analogue I/O options and are directly connected via PCIe with
fully supported linux drivers (they say ... I haven't tested them!) so they
offer the possibility of low latency directly into openGL etc and (should!!) be
fully usable in GEM. When building that system I tried a few cheaper cards, but
the next level up ... what seems like equivalent to these cards ... made it
actually work.

Simon