Re: [LAU] MIDI sysex over Firewire - not supported by Jack MIDI?

From: oli_kester <oli_kester@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 13 2014 - 01:38:56 EET

>Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 14:02:40 +0100
>From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>

>PS: Please 1. don't post above quotes, 2. learn how proper quoting has
>to be done and 3. don't send multipart, HTML formatted mails to mailing
>lists at least read
>http://community.ubuntu.com/contribute/support/mailinglists/ , there
>are other writings about how to use a mailing list, but this one is
>short and easy to understand.

Thanks for that Ralf, I have wondered in the past if there's a proper way to use these things - how's this?

>Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:39:38 +0100
>From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden>
>Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:04:09 +0000, oli_kester wrote:
>>> On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 20:10:40 +0000 Clemens Ladisch

>>> I'm not sure what you mean by this
>>>
>>> do you mean switch to a different kernel entirely?
>
>Yes; you would have to upgrade your kernel
>(with whatever mechanism your distribution uses for this).
>
>> Kernel's >= 3.16 provide this kernel module, you likely need to load
>> it, before you can use it.
>
>It would be loaded automatically.

...and I now have a new shiny kernel - and a result: The FA101 has MIDI I/O showing in JACK MIDI, which is superb!

Thanks to both of you - I'd never have thought of touching the kernel to solve these problems.

I went to do my sysex recording just now, and unfortunately I can't get these new "EDIROL FA-101 MIDI 1" ports to connect to anything. This isn't something I've experienced before - you can Alt-C to connect like anything else, but no connection line appears no matter how many times I try. I've restarted Jack to no avail.

Any more suggestions?

cheers, Oliver