Re: [LAU] Just got Android tablet for Christmas

From: Set Hallström <sakrecoer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 18 2014 - 16:51:28 EET

Thank you for your input, Paul.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> in most GUI software the "interface" (mapping between model state, user
> input and visual presentation) is the majority of the code. Changing the
> interface isn't a detail, it's everything.

i'd never imagined this, but i guess it makes sense

> Tablets have (a) no keyboard (b) no concept of pointer motion without a
> drag (c) no concept of hover (d) much less screen real estate (e)
> multitouch (in some cases, at least). that is enough of a set of changes
> that any desktop application which took advantage of some of the scale of a
> desktop system will likely need to be reconceived fairly deeply.

What you write makes perfect sense, i guess that would explains why this
smartphone/tablet thing has been arround for so long and it still is so
difficult to run alternative non-proprietary software on them...? Just like
it took several years for GNU/Linux distros to lower themselves to my
acutaly quite poor level.

However, I can't shake the feeling that this shift also serves as an
argument for corporations to reshape the process of software distribution
and redefine standards and dependencies. But then again, my limited
knowledge of the actual mechanisms behind a User Interface may suggest that
I'm just being paranoid. :D

--
Set Hallström