Re: [LAU] FreeBSD

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 05 2015 - 10:57:25 EET

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 08:35:02 +0100, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> anyone using FreeBSD for audio stuff? I've installed latest release
> as guest os using qemu and just wondering if porting of ardour and
> other audio stuff has been done by someone else and if it's worth.

I've got an unused FreeBSD 9.x install. Once I needed it to test my RME
audio card. Since FreeBSD now is 10.x a few things might have changed a
little bit. IMO FreeBSD can't be used for audio production. Your VM
indeed isn't the best way to test audio abilities, but anyway, install
jackd, launch it and you already will notice a few annoyances.

FWIW Debian had a FreeBSD port, but when they switched to systemd, the
Debian FreeBSD port, with Linux user space software was dropped.

--
IMO this is one of the oddest statements ever:
"Linux has never been about ‘choice’ or ‘freedom’ and those myths should