Re: [LAU] FreeBSD

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 06 2015 - 19:55:25 EET

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 18:32:11 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> To avoid pulseaudio there are several solutions.

I ended up running on Arch for a lot of the reasons people choose BSD - I can
eliminate a lot of the extraneous packages that always seem to go with most
other distros, especially Fedora, which I used for a long time. The ability
to never install pulseaudio was the tipping point for me.

> Avoiding systemd likely will be impossible soon.
   [ snip ]
> However, if you want to stay with Linux, get
> used to binary log files and other hard changes of Linux policies.
> Unlikely that in the close future Linux still will work without
> systemd.

I've been a UNIX/Linux administrator longer than some folks on this list
have been alive. systemd has always seemed like a solution to a problem
that didn't really exist, and causes more issues than it solves, especially
when it comes to kernel logging. That said, it seems to be the way of the
future, and I don't despise it to the level others do, or as much as I hate
pulseaudio.

I have run FreeBSD servers in the past (and may again), but it was never
under consideration when I dropped Fedora because to me it doesn't seem to be
the right tool for the job.