Re: [LAU] FreeBSD

From: Ede Wolf <listac@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 07 2015 - 00:06:12 EET

There is a jack port for FreeBSD, which basically should eliminate the
need of alsa (not sure about the midi part though), but chances are,
there are no drivers for your soundcard. However, I have no idea in what
shape the jack port is.

Would be interesting to find out, how much worse the preempt kernel of
recent FreeBSD is compared to linux, as so far I am quite happy with a
preemtive only and non hard-realtime kernel.

Nevertheless FreeBSD audio would be a great thing. Arch using AUR is a
pain to maintain, having two repositories sucks big time and I remember
some package wouldn't even build because a somewhat central dependency
was removed due to dead upstream, that Ubuntu based stuff is most
horrible bloat and the FreeBSD Ports tree can't be much more out of date
or lacking than the gentoo pro-audio overlay, unless this has changed
recently. I'd love to go back to gentoo.

Anyway, we can as well wait for a dragonfly pro audio release or
ressurection of BEOS. Won't happen, unless WE do it.

Anyway, dreaming is allowed and all the best for 2015