Re: [LAU] pulse/systemd - was: FreeBSD

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 08 2015 - 19:27:41 EET

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015, Arve Barsnes wrote:

> On 8 January 2015 at 15:10, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Just? Just routing all programs to alsa means each or any blocks all others.
>> One ends up with the mess that at least three audio servers have been tried
>> of which Pulse seems to be the one that has been chosen
>
> I keep seeing people say this, but I have never noticed any program
> blocking the sound of any other. I can play sound from mplayer,
> audaciuos, audacity, firefox, whatever, all at the same time, never
> had pulseaudio installed, everything through alsa. What am I doing
> wrong? :p

I've been wanting to say the same thing up until now, but I thought
maybe I was missing something stupid. I haven't had problems with
exclusive sound access either, at least since the OSS days. If
anything, that was one of the big improvements going to Alsa from OSS --
no more device contention between applications, no more need for
horrible esound and artsd userspace daemons to try to multiplex streams
for you. Now, apparently, even Alsa needs userspace help to deal with
consumer audio. But why? It already worked!

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky