Re: [LAU] "aged" Terratec DMX 6fire

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 15 2015 - 16:02:18 EET

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

> Old school was referred to the dmix stuff, so the double quotes in "aged".
> My question explained was: did I miss something in audio hw interfaces which is worth an
> hw upgrade?
>
> Just for the record, I was planning to buy an EWS 88MT, my first audio card beck in 2005
> when ardour was 0.97, kernel 2.4 and debian sarge...

The old school was talking about the PCI cards that came with about 5
inputs for cd and software and (I can't remember what they were all for)
and had a hardware mixer as part of the card. The newer cards expect the
OS to do that, so the older cards would use less cpu cycles... except even
with an older card the OS will still do the mixing in a newer OS. But the
movement of audio from sw to hw is about the same one way or the other.

USB is only bad because of implementation. It takes some work on most
computers to find a clean (unshared) USB port.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net