Re: [LAU] Prog-rock album

From: Ben Bell <bjb-linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 18 2015 - 00:06:01 EET

Hi Carlos,

> Nice melodies and soundscapes, good sound and production, very progy style
> and structures. I like it. Not listening in a proper environment to tell
> you more about production/mixing details. Maybe give it a little more wet
> sound to it, more space, just to say some.
Thanks for the feedback!

> Forgot one thing. I wonder if you could provide son notes on what
> instruments, programs, soundfonts... did you use.
Actually, most of it is not software but good old fashioned hardware and
mics :)

There's a mix of Ardour 2 and 3 with CAPS, TAP and SWH plugins. The mellotron
is a mix of Emu Classic Keys for the older tracks and Taijiguy samples played
through fluidsynth for the more recent pieces. The rest is all physical stuff,
with the main instruments being Hammond XK3c, Yamaha P80 piano, Nord Stage,
Prophet 08 and then a mix of acoustic drums and various guitars. The guitars
are mostly processed through a Yamaha DG Stomp but with some CAPS in there
too. The Leslie effect on the Hammond is partly the XK3c's built in
simulation but for Brinkmanship and No U-Turn I miked up a MotionSound
KBR-3D and personally I think it was really worth the effort. The recording
was through a pair of Delta 1010 interfaces linked (when necessary) with
zita-a2j.

> Really liking the whole album.
Thanks!

Ben