Re: [LAU] pickups - was: Audio over WIFI

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 18 2015 - 05:10:18 EET

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 19:28:42 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
>> Can I mention the piezo pickups I installed in my accordion. Gawd
>> they sounded awful :) (Accordion wasn't bad back then when I actually
>> knew how to play one).
>
> Bob,
>
> an electromagnet/coil is fairly useless for recording an accordion.
> Usage of coils isn't impossible, since the accordion does use air to
> vibrate things made of metal that might be magnetic. JFTR even the

The wulitzer reed organ my parents had used capacitive pickups. This was
back in tube days and the back plate was elevated to 400v... maybe not
something to use in a handheld reed machine. The speakers used a field
coil instead of permanent magnets which also acted as power supply chokes.

(yes I got stung by the pick power at least once)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net