Re: [LAU] Stow! (was Re: need help uninstalling non installed from source)

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 22 2015 - 07:13:15 EET

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 05:48:54PM +0100, Peder Hedlund wrote:
> Quoting Atte <atte@email-addr-hidden>:
>
> >I wanna use non from kxstudio instead of my compiled version. How do I
> >completely remove everything installed by hand? Here's what I did and
> >the result:
> >
> >atte@email-addr-hidden:~/software/shared/non$ sudo ./waf uninstall
> >Waf: Entering directory `/mnt/data/atte/medium/software/non/build'
> >- remove /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/non-mixer.png
> >- remove /usr/local/share/pixmaps/non-mixer/icon-256x256.png
>
> I always compile everything with --prefix=/opt/programname-version (e.g.
> /opt/jack-0.124.1) and then use stow (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/stow , I use
> v1.3.3) to populate /usr/local with symlinks.
> The command for that would be 'stow -d /opt/ -t /usr/local jack-0.124.1'
>
> To uninstall just run stow again with the -D flag added and 'rm -rf
> /opt/jack-0.124.1'
>
> This way it's also easy to install and test a shiny new version of a program
> while still keeping the old and trusted version in case the new one is crap.
> Just skip the rm-part.

I'll just add that the Gobo Linux distribution is built on a
technique similar to stow, using symlinks that allow
multiple versions to be installed, and keeping all files
for each applications separate.

The package manager and administration utilities for Gobo
are written in shell, which makes for interesting reading.

--
Joel Roth