Re: [LAU] Stow! (was Re: need help uninstalling non installed from source)

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 23 2015 - 08:31:15 EET

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 07:48:32PM -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 07:13:15PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

> > > I always compile everything with --prefix=/opt/programname-version (e.g.
> > > /opt/jack-0.124.1) and then use stow (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/stow , I use
> > > v1.3.3) to populate /usr/local with symlinks.
> > > The command for that would be 'stow -d /opt/ -t /usr/local jack-0.124.1'
> > >
> > > To uninstall just run stow again with the -D flag added and 'rm -rf
> > > /opt/jack-0.124.1'
> > >
> > > This way it's also easy to install and test a shiny new version of a program
> > > while still keeping the old and trusted version in case the new one is crap.
> > > Just skip the rm-part.
> >
> > I'll just add that the Gobo Linux distribution is built on a
> > technique similar to stow, using symlinks that allow
> > multiple versions to be installed, and keeping all files
> > for each applications separate.
> >
> > The package manager and administration utilities for Gobo
> > are written in shell, which makes for interesting reading.
> >

> For the past few years I've used nix for handling things that Debian just can't seem to keep up with.
>
> Nix is pretty cool, it's uses immutability, like Git or CouchBase or Clojure. Beats doing a ton of source builds in /usr/local or /opt.

I looked into Nix before. Based on a functional language.
Some of the same researchers have another project, Mancoosi,
aiming to provide per-application rollback ability to
users.[1]

Ubuntu now has Snappy, an alternative package with similarities to Gobo
Linux and stow.[2]

They say it's for the cloud, but I wonder if it won't
supplant apt-get entirely for Ubuntu in future. The effort
involved in Debian packaging is huge, IMO, compared to some
other simpler systems.

1. http://www.dicosmo.org/space/PlaquetteMancoosi-rotated.pdf
2. https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/

Joel