Re: [LAU] Which kernel do you use?

From: Hermann Meyer <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Sat Jan 24 2015 - 10:08:52 EET

Am 24.01.2015 um 08:53 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 08:39:57 +0100, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>>> Amen!
>>>
>>> JFTR my stone age ATI graphics, when using the FLOSS driver, can be
>>> used without any performance issues for Google Earth, it's quick as
>>> a flash, but using Cinnamon is impossible. That's ridiculous!
>>> Cinnamon and similar desktops are simply written by people who
>>> don't know how to program correctly. It's not a driver acceleration
>>> issue, if it's possible to use software such as Google Earth
>>> without performance issues, but using a DE as Cinnamon is
>>> impossible.
>> Seems like you are right, no problem/Xrun with Kernel: 3.19.0-rc5
>> x86_64 when I use LXDE instead of Cinnamon.
>> So it seems that, as soon acceleration in the nouveau driver becomes
>> improved, Cinnamon isn't suitable for Audio work anymore.
> You should run Google Earth on LXDE. Likely the acceleration for your
> graphics provided by nouveau is perfect for such advanced 3D software.
>
> Keep in mind that Google Earth allows quick moves from space to street
> views, it not only does stress the 3D acceleration, but at the same time
> it does stress the Internet connection.
>
> As soon as a desktop environment/window manager needs more resources
> for opening or closing a window, than Google Earth does need to move
> from space to a street, IMO the DE/WM is broken.

Didn't know what the cause is, but CPU usage of Cinnamon never goes
above 10% , even if I stress a lot with window moving pop-up/down, etc.
Also MEM usage is with more then 700MB (firefox, evolution, geany, etc.
opened) moderate.
With kernel 3.4.xxx-rt there are no problems/Xruns at all.

Broken or not, I'm not as fast as you, to diss a Application/DE or what
ever. Sure there is something wrong in Cinnamon, but, I'm sure that it
could solved, as soon one find out what it is.
Otherwise, Cinnamon is a nice looking Desktop, with nice effects and 3D
impression on the screen.

For now I know, that if I need to switch to never kernels, I've to
switch back to LXDE or a similar lightweight desktop.

regards
hermann