Re: [LAU] Alternative Kernel for Mint 17.1?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 18 2015 - 00:44:37 EET

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015, Max wrote:

> On 02/16/2015 05:46 AM, Artem Vakhitov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> are there any good (binary) alternative kernels usable with the
>> recent versions of Linux Mint? I have Linux Mint 17.1 on an oldish
>> (~2007) laptop, and the stock low-latency kernel is not adequate
>> for audio and MIDI work on this machine even with LXDE.

I would suggest that the lowlatency kernel is already very good and that
the machine in question should be audited in other areas before looking
for a new kernel. I have gotten stable USB audio on an atom based (single
core) netbook from the same time frame with Jack set to 64/2 (internal
audio needed 64/3) and the CPU running half speed at 800Mhz. However,
wireless had to be powered off (and the kernel module unloaded) and the
USB audio interface had to be plugged into the USB port on the right side
of my netbook because the one of the left shares it's irq with the
internal camera and SD slot (and maybe other things I have forgotten).

The RT kernel is not a "silver bullet" that will just make audio work, a
wireless module that insists on holding the bus while it does a channel
scan every 60 seconds while break any kernel's RT. Sharing an IRQ with
your USB audio IF will give xruns... just facts of life.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net